News, Under 13

CREGGS Rugby Under-13


Creggs Rugby 38, Carrick-on-Shannon RFC 31.

Creggs ground out a hard fought victory against a strong Carrick RFC side on last Sunday morning.

The game started off with Greg Thomas receiving the Carrick kick-off and making a break, beating several Carrick defenders before being hauled down a few metres short of the line. After some fine rucking by Ruairi O’ Brien and Sean McCormack, Paddy Downey touched down in the corner for the opening try of the match. Downey however was off target with a difficult conversion.

Creggs forwards defended well with Frankie Quinn, OisinGately and Aodan Kelly hitting crucial tackles and Joe Farrell and Luke Butt creating good ball for the Creggs backs. After further pressure, Creggs were awarded a penalty on the opposing 22 and Mark Dowd took a quick tap and slid over for Creggs’ second try of the game. Downey converted with ease leaving Creggs 12-0 up.

However, Carrick refused to throw in the towel, with their forwards rucking well and their centres tackling ruthlessly and eventually their hard work paid off. After quick passing out their back line they touched down in the corner. The conversion however, was just wide of the posts leaving a margin of 9 points in Creggs’ favour.

Creggs were undeterred and conceding the try only spurred them on to get another one of their own. Sean O’Roarke and Darren Gately worked well together dealing with clearance kicks from the Carrick half-back pair while Robert Colleran was gaining ground with the ball in hand. Eventually Creggs’ hard work paid off and the No.8 Shane Connaughton was on the end of some excellent passing from centres Eoin Ward and Greg Thomas and Connaughton touched down under the posts for Creggs third of the game. Again, Downey split the posts with the conversion.

Good play continued from both sides with Luke Gregory, Mark Kilcommins, Anthony Gorman and James Connelly carrying the ball with great urgency. Carrick however, turned possession over after some good rucking by their forwards and after some quick hands out the backs the man on the wing danced over the Creggs try line leaving the score 19-10 to Creggs at the break.

The two teams exchanged tries at the beginning of the second half with Shane Connaughton touching down for his second of the match after great rucking from James Murray and his forwards. Dowd converted with ease.

However, Carrick didn’t wait around to respond and scored within a few minutes of the last try.

Then brave rucking from Dara Hughes and Eoin Harrington presented clean ball to the Creggs back line. Creggs set-up camp in Carrick’s back third for a period with phase after phase of excellent rucking and cleaning out. Dowd then dashed through a gap in the Carrick defensive line and scored in the corner for his second of the match. Dowd was off target for the convert.

The action continued though with Carrick scoring after some excellent back play.

Creggs replied with Stephen Ruane and Jack Mc Donagh making crucial ground. They were parked on the Carrick 22 until they were awarded a well-earned scrum. Connaughton picked and went to the right, breaking through a helpless Carrick defence to touch down, resulting in a hat-trick of tries to his name.

About the author / 


Facebook Posts

Well done to the Creggs U16 and Creggs U18 Girls teams who have both qualified for the Final of the Connacht U18 and U16 Girls Division 1 Leagues.

Fantastic achievement for the club in our first year fielding in Division 1 of the U18 league and only our 4th season since we set up the girls youth section in the club.

The Girls u18 final will take place in Dunmore next Saturday at 12pm V Claremorris while the Girls u16 Final will take place the following weekend against Ballina.
... See MoreSee Less

13 hours ago  ·  

Creggs RFC U.13s suffered yet another narrow defeat on Sunday last, this time away to Ballina in Sunday morning last. After conceding an early try from a Ballina scrum we were under real pressure when Brian O Connor put in a tremendous try saving tackle and we managed to force a turn over under our own posts and clear. We finally got a foothold in the opposing half and after a superb attacking scrum and great drives from Matthew Donnelly and Jack Lally the ball was fed to winger Luke Hayes who danced around the despairing Ballina defence to cross the line right on half time. Scoreline Ballina 7. Creggs 5 at the break.
The second half played out like the first with some resolute defence from the Creggs lads. However the line was breached on 12 minutes and now we faced a 7 point deficit. With just 3 minutes remaining and having put in a ferocious defensive display we were rewarded with a try by Michael O Brien who was in the right place at the right time to punish a poor Ballina defensive kick to leave just 2 points between the sides. In the last play of the game though we came unstuck while trying desperately to find the winning score as Ballina scored in the corner to leave the full time score Ballina 17. Creggs 10.
Training continues Wednesday evenings at 7 and we are away to Buccaneers next weekend.
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago  ·  

Club Lotto